Santiago´s Cathedral


Hello, I hope you are all well. Today I am going to talk to you about a Chilean building that I visited: Santiago´s Cathedral.

Located at 498 Plaza de Armas Street, in the metropolitan region, the Cathedral began as the first religious temple to be established in the city, after Pedro de Valdivia founded it on February 12, 1541. 

It is characterized by its eclectic style, since during the 151 years of its construction several architects were involved, each one stamping his own style and tendency. Measuring 97.83 meters in length by 29.28 meters in width, it is divided into three naves, one central higher nave and two side naves, linked together behind the Main Altar. Its decoration is rich in paintings and gilt, it lacks an apse and the floor tiles form geometric patterns. 

I visited the cathedral on a trip we had with my parents and my sisters to Santiago, that day we did many things like going to the zoo, going to Santa Lucía Hill and visiting the cathedral, we toured the infrastructure silently and appreciated every detail that it had to offer. Inside, I think that's what I liked the most, seeing so many colors, the lights, seeing the details of the architecture, the particular style it has. I am not religious but I like to appreciate the art of architecture in churches.





Comments

Popular Posts